Here at the Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL), we are on a mission to save the world’s coral reefs.
We work collaboratively with communities to reduce direct threats to reefs in ways that provide lasting benefits to people and wildlife. In parallel, CORAL is actively expanding the scientific understanding of how corals adapt to climate change and applying this information to give reefs the best chance to thrive for generations to come. This combined expertise uniquely positions us to achieve our mission by rallying the conservation community around scalable and effective solutions for coral reefs.
CORAL recognizes that our best chance to save coral reefs is by collaborating with the people who depend on them for food and income. We use our research to identify places where reducing local stressors will most impact corals’ adaptive capacity. In these locations, we work directly with the communities that rely on reefs to address direct threats like overfishing and water pollution. To accomplish this, we:
• Use science to inform solutions at local scales
• Build partnerships with stakeholders
• Create win-wins for communities and conservation
• Ensure that policies support conservation
• Establish effective and sustainable local management systems
• Share information
• Develop and pilot innovative solutions
Our Signature Initiatives are designed to each address a pressing reef threat.
1. Healthy Fisheries for Reefs: Addresses the overfishing of herbivorous fish which feed on macroalgae and prevent them from overtaking and smothering corals
2. Clean Water for Reefs: Reduces water pollution from sewage and stormwater, which dump harmful sediments and nutrients on coral reefs
Intact Reef Ecosystems Initiative: Prevents the destruction of reef habitat from human activities such as unsustainable tourism
Photo Credits by: ©coral.org